Some people are dog lovers. Others prefer cats. At INKY, however, we’d gladly forgo these furry four-legged friends; favoriting our fearless, phish-fighting phenomenon instead. Yes, that’s right. We only have eyes for our very own INKY octopus.
The octopus has an innate problem-solving capability and their eight arms allow them to be fabulous multitaskers.1 And because they don’t have bones, they have the ability to look for prey in even the smallest of spaces. As for diet, octopuses are meat-eating carnivores. Perhaps this all sounds random, but in the world of email phishing, these are the very attributes that make INKY so amazing.
If you’re wondering why we’re so stuck on sharing these fun factoids, it’s because October 8th is World Octopus Day. In honor of INKY, our favorite marine animal, and all of her sea-bound brethren, we’d like to share a few more interesting facts about this complex and intelligent cephalopod.
Did you know…1,2
- There are 289 species of Octopuses.
- Octopuses have about 500 million neurons, giving them the ability to process a great deal of sensory information. Because most of the neurons are in their arms, so researchers believe tentacles may have a mind of their own.
- Some octopuses live in shallow waters while others can live up to 2.6 miles below the surface of the ocean.
- The octopus can change the pigment of its skin to better hide in its environment.
- The octopus has three hearts – two are dedicated to constantly pumping blood to the gills for oxygen and the third circulate oxygen-rich blood to the organs.
- Their cognitive capacity is demonstrated by carrying out different behaviors depending on the stimulus present and how it affects their survival.
- An octopus also has many photoreceptors, a sensory cell that responds to light falling on it, then vertebrates.
- When an octopus catches its prey, it breaks into the shell and injects its venomous saliva in order to paralyze or kill it.
- Octopus blood is blue because it contains hemocyanin, a copper-rich protein that helps transport oxygen around the octopus’ body.
There is no denying octopuses are interesting animals. And even though there are 289 different types, we believe that there is one, in particular, every business should embrace.
INKY is the most effective phish-fighter in the cyber sea. She explores, sees, and defends. Driven by computer vision, machine learning, and artificial intelligence, INKY blocks malicious emails, many of which your secure email gateways (SEGs) and virus protection software programs can’t detect. In many ways, a subtle form of training is baked into every email protected by INKY’s anti-phishing capabilities. It comes in the form of a simple banner that alerts readers of dangerous and suspicious emails. INKY is relentlessly effective.
We hope you learned something new about octopuses today. Curious about how intelligent and effective INKY is at catching phish? We’d like to show you. Schedule a free demonstration today.
INKY® is the most effective hero in the war against phishing. An award-winning cloud-based email security solution, INKY® prevents the most complex phishing threats from disrupting or even immobilizing your company’s day-to-day business operations. Using computer vision, artificial intelligence, and machine learning, INKY® is the smartest investment you can make in the security of your organization. INKY® is a proud winner of the NYCx Cybersecurity Moonshot Challenge and a finalist in the 2020 RSAC Innovation Sandbox Competition. Learn more about INKY® or request an online demonstration today.